The goals of the curriculum of the elementary program of the Montessori Country Day School are based on the philosophy and pedagogical methods of Maria Montessori. At the center of this philosophy is the importance of an individualized education that values the strengths and unique abilities of all students. Children are inherently interested in learning. A Montessori program builds on this curiosity, with the goal of teaching students how to learn on their own, not to teach them. French, art, gym, music and compassionate kids club classes are incorporated on a weekly basis.
The Montessori philosophy and method necessarily shapes the way that the classroom and curriculum are structured. Thus, important characteristics of our elementary program include.
- A holistic approach to the curriculum, integrating subjects in a thematic way that leads to an understanding of the world, nature, and the human being.
- An emphasis on strong academic preparation as well as on personal and practical life skills.
- A curriculum that allows for a self-initiated focus in areas of interest and is not strictly age-based.
- The integration of multiple age groups into one classroom.
- A celebration of pluralism in our local communities and throughout the world; through the study of multiple cultural traditions, geography, history, and language the program will encourage open-minded acceptance of all peoples.
- Curriculum that integrates experiential, hands-on learning with a progression to understanding of abstract concepts.
- First Grade Program (Age 6 years by October 31st or a previous kindergarten student at MCDS)
- Second Grade Program (Age 7 years by October 31st or a previous first grade student at MCDS)
- Third Grade Program (Age 8 years by October 31st or a previous second grade student at MCDS)
- Fourth Grade Program (Age 9 years by October 31st or a previous third grade student at MCDS)
- Fifth Grade Program (Age 10 years by October 31st or a previous fourth grade student at MCDS)
- Sixth Grade Program (Age 11 years by October 31st or a previous fifth grade student at MCDS)
- Seventh Grade Program (Age 12 years by October 31st or a previous sixth grade student at MCDS)
- Eighth Grade Program (Age 13 years by October 31st or a previous seventh grade student at MCDS)