The Montessori Country Day School is a private, academic school. We are non-profit and non-sectarian. Our programs are open to all children regardless of race, creed or color. Our program is guided by the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori – it is child centered, non-competitive and non-judgmental. We believe in “hands-on” education in a stress-free environment. The basic goal of the Montessori method is “normalization” of the child so that s/he becomes well-balanced, spontaneous and able to utilize his/her capabilities to the fullest.
Some of the characteristics of the “normalized” child are the following:
- Ability to concentrate well
- Sense of personal dignity
- Love of order
- Enjoyment of repetition
- Ability to work alone
- Desire for freedom of choice and movement
- Pleasure and fulfillment in work for its own sake
- Desire to work without need for rewards or punishment
- Love of learning
Some of the key elements that guide our school’s curriculum and teaching methods are:
- Respect for the child
- Respect for others
- The joy of learning is emphasized
- Practical life experiences are emphasized
- Children have freedom, coupled with observation and guidance
- Children do it themselves. The teachers are there to assist and help when necessary
- Children are encouraged to work on a problem on their own and figure things out at their own pace.
- Self-control is important for students to learn.